Essential of Patent Drafting
We are aware that protection under IP rights does not extend to ideas. An idea must be capable of putting down on paper, or the concept which constitutes the invention must be representable on a piece of paper. It is for this reason that the patent drafting/ patent on paper is the cornerstone of a patent application. A patent draft conveys to the world about the invention;
- How it is different from other inventions,
- What exactly are its utility and scope of protection sought,
- Executability of your right concerning the invention, and;
- The resilience of the patent granted concerning future patent challenges much depends on the quality of the patent draft.
- Patent draft determines the scope of invention globally.
The invention will involve jargon related to the specific field. We believe that the draft must lucidly enumerate invention-concepts. The only exception is when technical jargon is indispensable. You will be in continuous liaison with our patent analysts to aid them in their understanding of the functionality of your invention. Our team consists of IP attorneys with eclectic knowledge that enables us to assign you attorneys that are suitable for your invention.
In esoteric cases, we also communicate with expert consultants to comprehend the smallest attributes of the invention and thereby allowing us to draft a comprehensive patent application.
As IP underpins most industries, we provide bespoke patent services based on the industry you are associated with. We integrate the bits of information (mentioned below) to develop a unique strategy for drafting a patent application:
- From the invention, technical details,
- Known prior art,
- Competitors and clients' business,
- The vision for the invention, and other information.
- Invention evaluation: The process involves identifying the technical details of the application, the utility of the said invention, possible holes in the invention
- Reading the terrain: Understanding the industry/terrain in which the client operates. Assessing competitors product and strategy and suggesting the best plan of action
- Drafting strategy and First draft: We devise a drafting strategy based on the above two steps and prepare the first draft.
- Review: Our review team vets the draft for any holes, and where applicable, we deploy our automated tools to scan the draft.
- Client's viewpoint: We share the draft with our client to get their perspective on the draft
- Final document: If necessary we will include the client's opinion and prepare the final document for filing
Where required, we also prepare a drawing of the invention that better illustrates the working of the invention.